The main toxins contaminating feed materials are mycotoxins, endotoxins, and algal toxins.
- ⇰ The main mycotoxins affecting animal production are aflatoxin B1 (AFB1), fumonisin B1 (FB1), ochratoxin A (OTA), zearalenone (ZEN), T-2 toxin, and deoxynivalenol (DON).
- ⇰ Bacterial endotoxins are part of the outer membrane of the cell wall of Gram-negative bacteria that are released when cells are lysed (LPS-lipopolysaccharides).
- ⇰ Algal toxins are produced by algae in the ocean and in freshwater.
In this study, the toxin adsorption and biotransformation capacity of a multicomponent mycotoxin detoxifying agent (MMDA – MycoRaid) was tested using LC-MS/MS.
MATERIALS & METHODS
MATERIALS & METHODS
In this study, MycoRaid (MMDA) was tested for adsorption and biotransformation of the main toxins using LC-MS/MS.
Mycotoxin and algal toxin detoxification
For mycotoxin and algal toxin detoxification efficacy, 100 mg of adsorbent was put into a 15 ml Falcon tube.
To this, 10 ml of 0.1 M phosphate buffer pH 3.0 and a solution containing 2 ppm of each toxin were added. Controls with and without toxins were prepared.
The tubes were incubated on a rotary shaker for 60 min at 37°C and centrifuged at 4,500 rpm for 5 min. Afterward, the supernatant was analysed by LC-MS/MS.
For endotoxin detoxification efficacy, endotoxins from each bacterial source (1 ng/ ml) were incubated with the 10 mg/ml of the binder in pH 6.5 buffer for 1 h at 37°C.
The tubes were centrifuged and the endotoxin concentration in the supernatant was determined by the Limulus amoebocyte lysate (LAL) assay.
⇰ The results were expressed as LPS binding capacity (%).
The in vitro efficacy showed the net adsorption potential with an excellent removal of the toxins:
- 99,7% AFB1
- 89,5% ZEN
- 95,3 FB1
- 98,7% OTA
- 75,7% T-2 toxin
- 93,5% citrinin
- 98,8% ergot alkaloids
- 98% Pseudomonas endotoxins
- 92% E. coli endotoxins
- 74% Salmonella endotoxins
- 81% saxitoxin (algal toxin)
Jog Raj, H. Farkaš, Z. Jakovčević, S. Ćujić, J. Bošnjak-Neumüller and M. Vasiljević
PATENT CO, DOO., Serbia
Corresponding author: email@example.com
WMF meets ITALY, 16-18 May 2022, Parma, Italy